print question: cups and lpr

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Tue Mar 7 08:22:02 UTC 2006

        On my test system  I'm defaulting to "cups"; printing on any
        flavor of *nix has always been painful ... which is why I
        stick with plain ol' lpr::: it Just-Works{tm}.  So on my
        printserver and everywhere else I have lpr/lpd going.

        Under Gnome on my test platform I've tried to get things to
        print via my printsrver.  I see that Gnome thinks things are
        printing.  Not.  Do any of you print wizards know what I'm
        missing?

	thanks for any clues,

	gary

	PS:  5 gold stars for anybody who can 'splain why cups exists.

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix