Stop error when installing libtool

Jose Borquez bsdlists at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 7 03:51:44 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 08:16:31PM -0800, Jose Borquez wrote:
>

>> I am attempting to install gcc42 and I keep getting the following errors:
>>

>> ===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/bin/libtool in
>> /usr/ports/devel/libtool15
>> ===>  Configuring for libtool-1.5.22_2
>>

> Note: not error in gcc 4.2.
>

>> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g
>> wheel
>> checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>> checking for gawk... no
>> checking for mawk... no
>> checking for nawk... nawk
>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>> checking for gcc... cc
>> configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
>> whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
>> configuration is useful to you, please write to autoconf at gnu.org.
>> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
>> compiler cannot create executables
>> See `config.log' for more details.
>> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>> Please report the problem to ade at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
>>

> You forgot to do this.
>

>> "/usr/ports/devel/libtool15/work/libtool-1.5.22/config.log" including the
>> output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to
>> provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. an `ls
>> /var/db/pkg`).
>>

>> Finally, here is the output of the config.log file:
>>
>> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>>
>> It was created by libtool configure 1.5.22, which was
>> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59c.  Invocation command line was
>>
>>  $ ./configure --disable-ltdl-install --infodir=/usr/local/info
>> --prefix=/usr/l
>> ocal --build=i386-portbld-freebsd5.4
>>
>> ## --------- ##
>> ## Platform. ##
>> ## --------- ##
>>
>> hostname = gohan.home.local
>> uname -m = i386
>> uname -r = 5.4-RELEASE-p12
>> uname -s = FreeBSD
>> uname -v = FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p12 #0: Wed Mar  1 22:52:57 PST 2006
>> root at goh
>> an.home.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GOHAN
>>
>> /usr/bin/uname -p = i386
>> /bin/uname -X     = unknown
>>

> Are you sure this is all of it?  It doesn't display the failing
> compiler invocation.
>
> What other settings have you changed on this machine, e.g. CFLAGS,
> modified system compiler, etc?
>
> Kris

I previously edited /etc/make.conf and added the last two lines only:
I also did a portupgrade to have the most recent of PERL instead of the
version that comes by default.

PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE=     true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries

Here are the contents of /var/db/pkg:

cvsup-without-gui-16.1h_2       pkgdb.db
db4-4.0.14_1,1                  portupgrade-2.0.1_1,1
perl-5.8.8                      ruby18-bdb4-0.5.7