How to know that make buildworld finished

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Mon Mar 6 14:25:52 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 04:25, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> For testing purposes, I am trying to build a quite old (read slow)
> machine. It happens that every time I start a buildworld, I will have
> to leave before the end. And next morning the shell I was using to run
> the buildworld will have terminated for some reason.
>
> So I cannot see if the make did finished successfully or not.
>
> Is there a way to check that make buildworld did finished
> successfully?

I suggest using screen. You can find it in the ports as sysutils/screen. It
will allow you to detach from a shell, then later reconnect to it. The shell
will keep running in the meantime. It's very useful, especially if your SSH
connection is unreliable.

Another program that might be helpful is script(1).

Cheers
Benjamin