AFS in FreeBSD 5.4 or 6

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Mar 5 22:13:01 PST 2006

At 1:31 AM -0800 3/4/06, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>openafs has a compiled binary for FreeBSD 6.0 on their website,
>have either of you even tried it, or are you going to just write
>it off without even seeing it it works at all?

I have not tried it, since the openafs mailing list had some
talk of the latest (CVS) snapshots of OpenAFS not working on
FreeBSD 6.1.  I thought that meant OpenAFS was broken due to
changes in FreeBSD, which has certainly happened in the past.
But in re-reading those messages, it looks like the problem
might have been specific to OpenAFS on FreeBSD/amd64.

Since I am not running on AMD64 (yet...), I should take another
look at the recent snapshots of OpenAFS on FreeBSD.  I have
been focused on the upcoming 1.4.1 release of OpenAFS, since
that will include support for MacOS 10.4 (Tiger).  The web
pages for those release-candidates only have binary packages
for MacOS 10 and Windows, and I must admit I didn't try them
on FreeBSD.  Thanks for prodding me along to take another
look at this.

(now I just have to find the time to do it...)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu