device atapicam not enabled in GENERIC kernel for FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Mar 5 21:31:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 05:12:36PM -0400, Duane Whitty wrote:
> On Saturday 04 March 2006 17:30, Kris
> Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 05:26:37PM
> -0400, Duane Whitty wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just wondering if anyone has any
> > > information/opinion as to why
> > > device atapicam is not enabled by
> > > default in the GENERIC kernel.
> >
> > It's not an appropriate default,
> > since it modifies the way the ata
> > subsystem works in ways the
> > maintainer does not wish to support,
>
> Sorry, but do you mean the ata subsystem
> maintainer or the atapicam maintainer?

The former.

> Is atapicam part of the base?

Yes.

>  I was
> under the impression it implements an
> abstracted SCSI interface over the ata
> device subsystem but maybe I'm not
> adequately understanding what's really
> happening.

As the name suggests, it provides a CAM front-end to the devices,
which is the same front-end used by the SCSI devices, so tools that
expect to use CAM can work on the ATA devices too.

> Just an observation but it seems as
> though there is a great deal of use
> being made of the atapicam subsystem.
> I noticed for instance that in addition
> to /dev/cd0 that /dev/pass0
> and /dev/da0 also did not show up until
> I rebuilt with atapicam or did I just
> miss them?

The equivalent devices have different names under atapicam than ata,
but why do you think they are necessary?

> Unless I'm wrong doesn't this mean that
> usb drives and those types of devices
> need the atapicam subsystem?

I suspect you're wrong.