We want tu use your company name and logo

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 3 09:14:34 PST 2006

Ercan Pamuk wrote:

 > Esteemed competent,

 > I am Ercan Pamuk.I live in Turkey.I am a computer expert and a partner
 > of the SkyTech computer which actives in Turkey.In our company we work
 > on setting up the Linux systems and their technical supporting.

Very good.  I am nobody in particular and live in the USA, where I use
FreeBSD in my business and in my home.  Peace be unto you.

 > In our company we want to sell T-shirts,glasses,caps that are
products of
 > FreeBSD Linux which we give them system supporting in our company.
 > We want to use Slackware FreeBSD Linux Logos at this products which
 > we want to sell.This work plays a part in advertising you and your
products.
 > At the same time this work causes to be loved and used your products and
 > also increases the requests of your products.

Your e-mail brightened the day of many FreeBSD users; as your primary
language is not English, there were a few grins about the following
statements:

"products of FreeBSD Linux"

       --- Linux and FreeBSD and distinct entities (e.g. $linux !=
$FreeBSD).
Although they are both "Unix-like" operating systems, saying "FreeBSD Linux"
is something of a contradiction in terms to FreeBSD users.

"We want to use Slackware FreeBSD Linux Logos at this products"

       --- again, these are distinct entities, so you probably wanted to
say:

    "We want to use Slackware, FreeBSD, and Linux logos on the products
that we want to sell."

 > Is there a problem selling T-shirts,glasses,caps in Turkey by using your
 > company name and logo?

There could be some problems, but no one at "questions at freebsd.org"
has the power to answer you authoritatively.  We do appreciate you
asking, though; respect for the intellectual property of others is part
of the FreeBSD tradition, and you might have noticed if you have read
the BSD licenses and copyrights.

In regard to your specific question, see:

        http://www.freebsd.org/art.html#USE

   for more information about the various logos, their owners
and licensing.

 > Thanks...

 > Yours respectfully....

And to you, also.

Kevin Kinsey

--
As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.
		-- Shakespeare, King Lear