Card for basic 3D acceleration in FreeBSD

Hans Nieser h.nieser at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 2 23:44:13 PST 2006

Micah wrote:

> I'm looking for a card to handle some simple OpenGL stuff for a class
> I'm taking.  I have an ATI X300 card, but 3D acceleration is not
> supported on it in the current Xorg.  The only slots on my Mobo are PCI
> and PCI-EX.  I use the i386 release of FreeBSD currently, but would like
> to have the option to move to the amd64 release.  Any suggestions on a
> low-end (read cheap) card?  I know "nvidia" is often recommended, but
> any particular model?

I myself ran into an issue with FreeBSD and nvidia where my PCI-Express
Geforce 6800GT only gave a fraction of the performance that I should have
been able to get. After asking about it on the nvidia forums at nvnews.net
I was told that there is an issue between the nvidia driver and FreeBSD
kernel that affect non-native PCI-Express cards, it was being worked on
but for now I am still suffering from it. More info: