Card for basic 3D acceleration in FreeBSD

Joseph Vella satyam at sklinks.com
Thu Mar 2 21:50:04 PST 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 21:37, Vayu wrote:
> On Thursday 02 March 2006 15:57, Micah wrote:
> > I'm looking for a card to handle some simple OpenGL stuff for a class
> > I'm taking.  I have an ATI X300 card, but 3D acceleration is not
> > supported on it in the current Xorg.  The only slots on my Mobo are PCI
> > and PCI-EX.  I use the i386 release of FreeBSD currently, but would like
> > to have the option to move to the amd64 release.  Any suggestions on a
> > low-end (read cheap) card?  I know "nvidia" is often recommended, but
> > any particular model?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Micah
>
> I use the fglrx driver on my laptop in Linux with an ATI x300 mobility.  It
> does hardware OpenGL just fine.  I noticed this thread where that driver
> has been ported to FreeBSD.  Maybe you could try that.
>
> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37837
>
> I have two FreeBSD desktop machines that have 3D support through nVidia.  I
> downloaded their latest driver for FreeBSD from their website (I think
> 8178) and it compiled on both my machines perfectly.   One has the 6600 and
> another has a 6600GT.  Both are excellent price/performance.  I have a
> lower end 6200 which is also great and pretty inexpensive.  I haven't used
> it on FreeBSD but it uses the same driver, so it should work just fine.

Sorry Micah,  I should have read more closely,  I just noticed that the ATI
driver in the link I supplied doesn't support 3D.

As I mentioned before I'm happy with nVidia cards and drivers.  Newegg has
several 6200s for under $50:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+1069609641&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=48&ATTR10=2010380048+1069609641&Order=price