apsfilter question/problem SOLVED PARTIALLY

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Thu Mar 2 11:52:19 PST 2006

On Feb 27 Denny White spake forth boldly:

> [...]
> 	:sh:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> #
> remote|sample remote printer:\
> 	:rp=HPDeskJet2:\
> 	:rm=dancer:\
> 	:sd=/var/spool/samba/remote:\
> 	:if=/root/hold/printcap-filter:\
> 	:lf=/var/spool/samba/remote/log:\
>        :af=/var/spool/samba/remote/acct:\
>        :mx#0:\
> 	:sh
> #
>
> Also have apsfilter installed but am not using it in printcap or
> in the script that filters lpr's output. The system reports the
> filtering script above successfully filters the file I want to
> print too.
> Another thing, only way I can browse shares from the xp box to
> the fbsd box is to usr security = share in smb.conf. I've tried
> user with & without encrypt passwords in smb.conf & tried the
> xp box with & without enableplaintextpassword & can't get it to
> let me browse. I mention these things too, because I thought it
> might shed some light on what I'm doing wrong. Below are the
> pertinent settings from smb.conf without all the extra comments
> and commented outstuff.
>
> [global]
>   workgroup = WHEEL
>   server string = Samba %v, running on %h
>   security = user
>   encrypt passwords = no
>   smb passwd file = /usr/local/private/smbpasswd
>   obey pam restrictions = no
>   hosts allow = dancer, badboybox, mobile1
>
>   load printers = yes
>
>   printing = bsd 	# tried without uncommenting out
> 			# and with bsd & cups
>
>   passdb backend = smbpasswd
>
>   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>
>   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
>   add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
>   add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
> /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
>   delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
>   delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
>   delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
>

> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
> [homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   browseable = yes
>   writable = yes
>
> [printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   browseable = no
>   guest ok = no
>   writable = no
>   printable = yes
>
> [dennyboyshare]
>    comment = dennyboy's home directory
>    path = /home/dennyboy
>    valid users = dennyboy
>    public = no
>    writable = yes
>    printable = yes
>
> Thanks for any & all forthcoming help. This thing's really
> gotten confusing. If there's any other info someone would

Below is the current /etc/printcap file. I can now print legible
files to the hp deskjet 722c on the xp box. Can print okay, too,
to the star 2410 dot-matrix on the fbsd box, but only as root.
That's the keyword "partial in the subject line of this message.
I'd like normal users to be able to print to it again. Set it up
as a shared network printer from the xp box, but naturally, still
can't print to it until the root/user printing issue is resolved.
Thanks for any help I can get on this. Did not sit on my duff in
the interim between this message & the others. Experimented a lot
with different combinations of programs including apsfilter, gs,
samba, cups & so forth, finally coming up with at least a partial
solution.
Denny White

#
lp|local line printer:\
 	:sh:\
 	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
#
remote|sample remote printer:\
 	:rp=HPDeskJet2:\
 	:rm=dancer:\
 	:af=/usr/local/bin/ppn2ppa.ppd:\
 	:if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
 	:sd=/var/spool/samba/remote:\
 	:mx#0:\
 	:sh
#

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A