console beep?

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Thu Mar 2 04:52:12 PST 2006

[Andrew Spott, 2006-03-01]

[Svein Halvor Halvorsen, 2006-03-01]

[Andrew Spott, 2006-03-01]
> > thanks, thats what i'm primarily woried about... the console beeps get
> > annoying when i type tab obsessively  *G*

[Andrew Spott, 2006-03-02]
> ok... i assumed you were talking about ~/.inputrc, however, i've got
> it in there, and in /etc/.inputrc, but neither have an effect.
>
> which file exactly are you talking about?

That's the one. This will only work for programs using readline
however. Also, you need to restart the program in question, eg. bash.

This is my ~/.inputrc:

set convert-meta off
set meta-flag on
set output-meta on
set bell-style none

But those meta-lines are there for internationalization purposes.

See readline(3) for more info.

Svein Halvor

cc. Back to freebsd-questions