Recommended Web Mail software

martin at orbweavers.co.uk martin at orbweavers.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 02:36:49 PST 2006

> On 3/1/06, wc_fbsd at xxiii.com <wc_fbsd at xxiii.com> wrote:
>> Was wondering what you recommend.  We have a small 5 person user base
>> on a [fairly] screamin' new Dell box, so performance isn't an
>> issue.  Just easy to use, reliable, basic, low maintenance web
>> mail.  I'm leaning toward  SquirrelMail, as I set it up on a test
>> server a couple years ago and was pleased.  Any other suggestions?
>

> I haven't yet tried it myself, but I'm looking into roundcube. It's in
> ports, but is still only in beta:
>

> RoundCube Webmail is a browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an
> application-like user interface. It provides full functionality you
> expect from an e-mail client, including MIME support, address book,
> folder manipulation and message filters. RoundCube Webmail is written in
> PHP and requires the MySQL database. The user interface is fully
> skinnable using XHTML and CSS 2.
>
> WWW: http://www.roundcube.net/

I use squirrel mail, and have tested out roundcube. Both are fairly easy
to get setup and use, so it is really a matter of personal preference. I
personally prefer squirrel mail, I found roundcube felt a little
incomplete (it was a while ago, so that could have changed by now). IIRC
they have a demo on their website you can log onto if you want to see how
it works.

There is no reason why you couldn't have both setup, and then the user
themselves can decide which one to use.

Something else you may want to look into, if you use cyrus_imap, is
websieve. This allows you to setup server side mail filtering rules
through a web interface. I didn't manage to get it working last I looked
at it, though I intend to try again when I have some time. It would make a
nice addition to a webmail system, and allow your users to setup filters
that will work irrelevent of the client they use.

Cheers,
Martin