DHCP not working

Pietro Cerutti pietro.cerutti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:48:42 PST 2006

Hi List,
I can't get a DHCP lease from my cable modem, here are the details:

- The PC is a P4 500 MHz running 6.0-RELEASE just installed, GENERIC.

- I tried with three different NICs, without result:
-> a 3Com 3C509 (driver vx),
-> a RealTek (can't remember the model, is about one year old)
(obviously driver rl),
-> and a D-Link DFE-528TX (driver rl).

- The first two NICs are OK with static IP assignement, worked for
more than 1.5 years on 5.2.1-RELEASE and 5.4-RELEASE, I didn't tested
the last one since I just bought it today...

- The modem is OK, no problems with:
-> a laptop (i386 6-STABLE),
-> another laptop (Ubuntu),
-> a desktop PC (Win XP).

- My laptop has an integrated RealTek 8139C+ (driver re), and the
dhclient configuration is the same as the PC where the problem is
(default config), therefor the problem shouldn't be in the
configuration.

- I don't know if it's important, but the DHCP client never worked,
neither during sysinstall

- I tried disabling PnP OS in the BIOS, as I read in some forums, but nothing

Any ideas?

If more detailed infos are needed, please ask!

Thank you in advance!

--
Pietro Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti at gmail.com>