WinSCP mega-slowness

Daniel A. ldrada at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 05:16:02 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, gh <u3mgh at utanet.at> wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 13:04, Daniel A. wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have the same issue here.
> > When I use SFTP (WinSCP) to transfer from my Windows XP SP2 box to my
> > local server, I can only utilize about 1/10'th of the bandwith
> > (100mbit).
> > On the other hand, when I use FTP or SMB to transfer files, I can
> > utilize the maximum bandwith.
> >
> > On both boxes, the "symptoms" are the same:
> > - Lots of available CPU time
> > - No significant disk I/O
> > - Quite a lot of available RAM.
>
> but SFTP (WinSCP) is a crypted transfer (ssh tunnel)
> therefor it must be slower than
> any uncrypted transfer like FTP or samba ....
Yes, but one tenth? I would understand the speed difference if at
least the encryption required either a lot of CPU time or memory
utilization, but the fact is that it doesnt. In fact, my PC is
practically idle while it's transferring files through sftp.

I believe that fbsd_user (at a1poweruser.com) is correct about the
different buffer size being the cause of this problem.