capturing a desktop demonstration as a movie

guru at Sisis.de guru at Sisis.de
Wed Mar 1 00:11:58 PST 2006

El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 03:24:31PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:29 +0100, guru at Sisis.de wrote:
> > El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 11:13:19AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:
> > > There's also one called xvidcap. captures screenshots and then uses
> > > ffmpeg to put them as a movie.
> >
> > Thanks for all hints. I gave xvidcap (from the ports) a try and in
> > general it is able to capture the desktop and make a mpeg (...) movie
> > on the fly. But even for capturing 800x600 with only 5 frames per
> > second it runs in 'missing frames' sometimes and my notebook is
> > *very* fast. :-((
>
> That's odd. I gave it try previously, it ran fine on mine. Granted I
> only tried it on a very small screen size. (~320x240??) It was a capture
> of a SWF file which I wanted to show as an avi. It generated tons of
> files though and it really gave my HD a running around.

I've looked around in the faq's and forums and they all have that
problem. They only hints are:
- compile ffmpeg with -O5 (per default it is -O2); this does not
  helped much;
- lower the screen size
- lower the bits per pixel to 8
- lower the frames per second
someone claimed that it should work fine with 1024x768, 8bpp, 10fps;
when I have more time I will try 8bpp too;

> PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the person
> answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list only??

I use 'mutt' and a r)eply would send the answer to you only, while
a g)roup-reply send a Cc: to the list;

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)