CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

Rainer Heesen ------- rainer.heesen at gmx.de
Fri Jun 30 15:37:35 UTC 2006

I have a Minolta PagePro 1350 printer. When I use the workaround I get the
error 'raw printers cannot use file: devices!'

Is there another workaround?

rainer at desktop ~$ lpstat -d -p -t
system default destination: Minolta
printer Minolta disabled since Fri Jun 30 17:14:11 2006 -
        Raw printers cannot use file: devices!
scheduler is running
system default destination: Minolta
device for Minolta: /dev/lpt0
Minolta accepting requests since Fri Jun 30 17:14:11 2006
printer Minolta disabled since Fri Jun 30 17:14:11 2006 -
        Raw printers cannot use file: devices!
Minolta-47              rainer          195584   Fri Jun 30 17:14:11 2006

I found that the usb backend stalled here before actually doing any
work. Before I've done any actual debugging of the backend, I suspect
that it is being blocked on a status read attempt, though this is only
my current guess.

Here is a workaround:

In printers.conf () you will probably find a line like this:

DeviceURI usb:/dev/ulpt0

change usb: to file:, so that it looks something like this:

DeviceURI file:/dev/ulpt0

Then restart cups. Cups will not read any status information from the
printer, but at least it can print. Be warned about unknown side effects. :)

Jan-Espen Pettersen