Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jun 29 08:20:28 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org>
To: "Francisco Reyes" <lists at stringsutils.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier writes:
> >
> >> settled on HP Proliant servers .
> >
> > The problem with HP, as I see it,  is that they "officially" do not
support
> > freebsd.. I even sent an email to ask.. and the categorically stated
that it
> > is not supported.
> >
> > I would not want to standarize on something which is not guaranted will
work
> > in the future with FreeBSD.
>
> the problem is that none of the Tier 1 hardware manufacturer's support
> FreeBSD, and a growing number of places (ie. Adaptec / Intel) appear to be
> dropping support for it as well ...

This isn't true.  The big problem is that Adaptec has kind of a lock on
the SCSI market, because that market is a shrinking market and no
company in it's right mind that isn't in SCSI now would start trying to
get into it.  And Adaptec has always been very unfriendly to releasing
programming details, it's a corporate culture thing with them.  Just look
at a lot of their Linux stuff like their support for sata raid.  They waste
ten times the effort writing driver "blobs" and keeping them maintained
than if they just released a sample source driver for their stuff and
let the Linux maintainers use that as a base.  And people reverse engineer
their stuff all the time so it's not like it stays secret, not to mention
they have bought out most of their competitors so it's not like anyone would
have the resources to fuel a challenge to them.

Ted