CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

Anthony Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:10:10 UTC 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 9:55 PM, Micah wrote:

> Anthony Agelastos wrote:

>>> After playing with the permissions on ulpt, I can print a test
>>> page, though
>>> half of it comes out after I manually feed my printer.
>>>
>>> After that half-printed page, anything I try to print after will
>>> get me a "USB
>>> port busy; will retry in 30 seconds..." message and it never prints.
>>>
>> My system essentially does the same thing (the 30 second message
>> that is). After changing my  LogLevel and killing and resubmitting
>> a test page, here is my error_log file. Does anyone else have any
>> idea what I can try next? Everyone on this list has been wonderful
>> with this thread. Thanks again.
>
> I'm not seeing any errors in the log - assuming that the section
> that contains the job you mention starts at 19:29:47 on Jun 27th. I
> see job 9 start and I see job 9 canceled but I don't see any errors
> in between.
>
> A completely random thing: have you tried using /dev/unltp0 instead
> of /dev/ulpt0? It shows up as "USB Printer # (no reset)" in the
> cups web interface on my system.
>
> HTH,
> Micah
I just tried /dev/unltp0 and I have the same issues. Basically, I
killed all of the jobs, made your change, submitted a test page,
watched as nothing happened (it didn't display any messages in the
web interface), did a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart, killed the
test page, then resubmitted one, and then it mentioned the USB busy
will retry in 30 seconds line. I reattached my error_log for today's
activities.

I will be on the road for the better part of a week, so I will try to
help out as much as I can given the circumstances. Thank you everyone
for your assistance with this.

-Anthony