Abiword importers behaving oddly

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:44:19 UTC 2006

I have Abiword compiled from the editors/abiword port, with plugins
from the editors/abiword-plugins to (in addition to the default)
import and export ODF and SXW. Unfortunately, the importers appear to
not be working properly: they reliably loose metadata such as page
orientation, and randomly loose styles (only as applied to text -
additional defined styles are preserved), and page breaks. Manually
formatting such as newlines and bold, italic, etc. appear to be
preserved. I say 'randomly' loose these things because in some
documents I'll loose all of it, whereas in some only some of these
things are lost (for example, one particular document looses all but
the first page bread, all styles applied to the first page, remembers
all other headings, and remembers all but the first application of a
style I created speciifically for this document).
I have tested this and get the same symtoms on an ODF that I created,
and was working, using the same set of plugins a few months ago on a
Linux From Scratch system, leading me to blame the importer rather
than the exporter.  I am, however, not currently able to test this on
any other word processor to confirm this.
I am running FreeBSD 6.1-BETA4 (as reported by uname), but ports
appear to be coming from the directory 6-STABLE (I'm not familiar
enough with the ports system to know if this is to be expected).

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Is there any know cause and
workaround or solution for it? If necesary, I can provide a sample
file which shows these problems.

--
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who