ipopd3 core dumps - can't log into pop3 server

Andreas Widerøe Andersen wodfer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 22:40:16 UTC 2006

Many mails from me here today. Sorry about that. Having more problems than
skills I guess...

I have upgraded to imap-uw-2004g_1,1 and now my users can't log into the
server using pop3.

Every time I try to log in from Ie. Eudora on my Windows box the ipop3 core
dumps on the server.

telnet my.domain.net 110
Trying 194.123.123.12...
Connected to my.domain.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 my.domain.net 2004.89 server ready

-ERR Null command
user testuser
-ERR Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command

I haven't seend this AUTHORIZATION message before. I want to allow both
normal unencrypted password connections and let the user enable ssl if they
know how to.

Here are my inetd.conf mail details:
imaps   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd
imapd
pop3s   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d
ipop3d

pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d   ipop3d
imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd    imapd

This is what I have in my /etc/pam.conf file

# Mail services
imap    auth    required        pam_unix.so
imap    account required        pam_unix.so
imap    session required        pam_unix.so
pop3    auth    required        pam_unix.so
pop3    account required        pam_unix.so
pop3    session required        pam_unix.so

I have installed both cclient and imap-uw with the following directives:

portinstall -m SSLTYPE=unix imap-uw

(SSLTYPE=unix should be with ssl and plan text)

I have also installed the following ports related to mail:

openssl-0.9.8b_1    SSL and crypto library
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22   RFC 2222 SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer)
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.22 SASL authentication server for cyrus-sasl2
squirrelmail-1.4.6_1 A webmail system which accesses mail over IMAP

telnet my.domain.net 110
Trying 194.123.123.12...
Connected to my.domain.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK POP3 my.domain.net 2004.89 server ready

user testuser
-ERR Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command

Anyone out there who can give me some directions?

Thanks!
Andreas