Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

Mike Galvez galvez at virginia.edu
Mon Jun 26 16:49:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:24:54AM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Mike Galvez wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > No small thing you need to consider when choosing Dell is that they DO NOT support
> > > FreeBSD. They support Windows and Red Hat Linux. If the machine is not lights-out
> > > and the OS is not one of the above, they will not send parts or a technician.
> > >
> > > I found this out the hard way and had to load Linux on a spare drive just to prove
> > > a piece of hardware was failing.
> >
> > I've heard that Dells tech support isn't as helpful as it used to be, but I've
> > had them replace a CD-ROM drive and a 4mm DAT tape backup on Dell machines
> > dedicated to FreeBSD without any problems.
> >
> > Try running the diagnostic CD or floppy that came with the machine?
> > (Or can be downloaded for the specific system type from the Dell website.)
>
> Dell support grumbles a bit, but they have replaced tapes, disks, SCSI
> controllers and even mother boards on our machines running FreeBSD.

My problem was with my backup server being FreeBSD and running AMANDA. The Powervault
autoloader was generating SCSI errors. After I setup AMANDA on Linux and got the same
errors, they were willing to replace the Powervault autoloader.

With the new autoloader in place, I replaced the Linux OS with the same instance of FreeBSD
I was using before. No more SCSI errors.

All of this took more time than it should have.