CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

Anthony Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 04:16:15 UTC 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 9:05 PM, Micah wrote:

> Anthony Agelastos wrote:
>> Hello and thank you for the very quick reply.
>> On Jun 25, 2006, at 7:34 PM, albi wrote:

>>> are the permissions on /dev/ulpt0 correct ?
>> I have no idea what it is supposed to be.
>> %ls -l /dev/ulpt0
>> crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0,  68 Jun 25 19:01 /dev/ulpt0
>>>
>>> if the printer runs fine as root you know it's likely a
>>> permission-problem
>>>
>> What's the best way to run it as root? When I log into the CUPS
>> web interface as root and try to print a test page, it gives me
>> the message I posted above. If, as root, I try to print a
>> Postscript file via lp, it does nothing.
>> Thank you all again for your
>> assistance._______________________________________________
>
> I had the same problem. chown ulpt0 to group cups and add group
> write. That will fix it. I added the following to /etc/devfs.rules
> to make the fix permanent:
I did

chgrp cups /dev/ulpt0
chmod g+w /dev/ulpt0

> [system=10]
> add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
> add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
I did not have a /etc/devfs.rules file, so I copied /etc/defaults/
devfs.rules to /etc/devfs.rules and added what you suggested at the
bottom of it.

> Don't forget to restart devfs.
When I do
/etc/rc.d/devfs restart
it seems like nothing happens. So, I rebooted my machine and the
group was back to operator. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much
for your assistance with this.