CUPS, USB printers & "Permission Denied"

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Mon Jun 26 00:07:03 UTC 2006

On Sunday 25 June 2006 19:28, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
> I updated CUPS and I cannot print to my USB laser printer. The web
> interface shows the following:
>
> hp_LaserJet_1160Le (Default Printer) "Unable to open USB device
> "usb:/dev/ulpt0": Permission denied"
> Location: Den
> Make and Model: HP LaserJet 1160 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
> Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs, published.
> Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0
>
> Doing a `dmesg | grep ulpt0`, I get
>
> ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1160 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2,
> iclass 7/1
> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>
> The printer itself works (I plugged it directly into my MacBook and it
> printed fine). To ensure it wasn't an awkward build error, I issued a
>
> `portupgrade -fR cups`
>
> and rebuilt it and everything it is dependent upon. Does anyone else have
> any ideas? I am running an early 6.1-STABLE (FreeBSD dell.home.iq
> 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sat May 13 01:04:32 EDT 2006
> root at dell.home.iq:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IQKERNEL  i386).

Just a "me too" so far with an el cheapo Lexmark USB laser printer (E210).
Are you using the foomatic script? I am, with a PPD from linuxprinting.org.

I'm going to try backing up and blowing away my etc/cups dir, re-updating
the port, reinstalling foomatic and my ppd, and see if that makes any
difference. I'll post whatever I learn.

JN