Freebsd 6.1 Samba 3 as a PDC not using ldap

Atom Powers atom.powers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 15:04:02 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/24/06, Godfrey <godfreylists at compudoc.za.org> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am looking for help with running SAMBA 3 as a PDC on Freebsd 6.1
>
> Samba 3 can not run as a PDC, only Samba 4 can do that,
> but it hasn't been released yet.

Incorrect.
Samba 3 is perfectly suitable as a NT4 style PDC.
Unless you meant that it can not run as an Active Directory domain
controller, which would be correct; but even WinXP Pro is happy as a
domain member of an NT4 style domain. The only things you don't get
are enhanced user, machine policy configurations; but even that isn't
too hard to fake with the WinXP Resource Kit.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--