Stuttery Video Playback

Anthony Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 12:27:13 UTC 2006

I assume it is a DVD that is causing you grief. When you built
MPlayer (I assumed that based on whom you sent this email), what make
arguments did you pass? Since you built it, have you portupgraded?
What I am trying to get at is I don't think your MPlayer installation
is optimized. As an example, in my /ust/local/etc/pkgtools.conf file,
I have the following MAKE_ARGS for mplayer:

     'multimedia/mplayer' => [
       'WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=yes',
       'WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes',
       'WITH_KERN_HZ=512',
       'WITH_DVD_DEVICE=/dev/acd0',
       'WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/acd1',
       'WITH_CDPARANOIA=yes',
       'WITH_LIBCACA=yes',
       'WITH_MAD=yes',
       'WITH_THEORA=yes',
       'WITH_AALIB=yes',
       'WITH_THEORA=yes',
       'WITH_TREMOR=yes',
       'WITH_SDL=yes',
       'WITHOUT_ESOUND=yes',
       'WITH_VORBIS=yes',
       'WITH_REALPLAYER=yes',
       'WITH_XANIM=yes',
       'WITH_LIVEMEDIA=yes',
       'WITH_MATROSKA=yes',
       'WITH_XVID=yes',
       'WITH_LZO=yes',
       'WITH_XMMS=yes',
       'WITH_DTS=yes',
     ],

Those top three make args are what allows my PIII 450 MHz machine to
play a DVD just fine. With those in their proper place in
pkgtools.conf (near the bottom in the MAKE_ARGS section), you can
portinstall or portupgrade mplayer and it will always be built with
those flags. I hope this helps.