squid response

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Jun 24 12:19:55 UTC 2006

Imran Imtiaz wrote:
> I wanna ask does squid queue the requests if there are to many already to
> serve cause I've slow internet connection and sometimes where there is to
> much load the I can't see the requests coming from my computer being served
> by hit I've seen this from access.log of squid. Is there a way to improve
> this thing we can have threading in this case or something else to server ?

Squid will serve many requests in parallel, but it is using select() rather
than explicit multithreading.  If you've provided enough RAM and disk space to
Squid, it ought to improve the performance you get over a slow link by a
decent amount (20-50% is not uncommon), but you have to tune it appropriately
to get the best results...

It's also not uncommon for sites which use a lot of dynamic advertising to
prevent downloading in parallel from working as it should, and you'll see the
page hang download some ad image...

--
-Chuck