help with 'tar|rsh tar'

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 03:54:08 UTC 2006

On 6/23/06, Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 23), Nikolas Britton said:
> > I need to backup the /data directory on hostA to /data on hostB,
> > about 1TB of data on a gigabit link. Right now I'm using scp but the
> > handshake latency and ssh overhead is killing me.
> >
> > I've looked at many examples of tar|rsh tar and I can't figure it out,
> > most of the examples on the net look like this:
> > # tar cf - . | rsh hostname dd of=tape-device obs=20b
> > # tar -cf -...|rsh ...tar xf -...
>
> Two quick options even more lightweight than rsh are netcat (base
> system) and ttcp (in ports).  Usage examples:
>
> host2$ ttcp -r | tar xvf -
> host1$ tar cf - . | ttcp -t host2
>
> host2$ nc -l 1234 | tar xvf -
> host1$ tar cf - . | nc host2 1234

Thanks!, but I got rsh going. I first had to edit /etc/hosts.equiv,
after that I figured it out:

tar cf - . | rsh 192.168.1.242 'cd /data; tar xpvf -'

I was thinking tar -f as in file.tar but it's not, you have to cd into
the source directory you want to copy... anyways... I'm getting around
30MB/s now... it should be in the 50-60MB/s range... Good enough for
now though. Thanks again...

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/