FreeBSD and VMWare

YTResearch ytresearch at hughes.net
Fri Jun 23 11:57:31 UTC 2006

I noticed that someone asked questions concerning VMware on FreeBSD
which was my first realization that the two even go together. I have
the opportunity to advocate FreeBSD as a possible replacement to run
that software as a parting shot in the next week prior to finally
retiring from that organization. They are a very large windows
operation but are putting in some Linux/VMware to reduce the windows
server hardware platforms (I already know that this is of dubious
value when they could natively migrate and just eliminate the
servers, efficiency is not an option in the corporate world paradigms).

Before I actually recommend they do this on ~80 servers, I would like
to verify that it really can be done to move to a FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE/
VMware environment to support W2K3 and E2K3 on a virtual machine? Has
anyone done this?