Problems with both firefox and mozilla from ports

excalibur at icehouse.net excalibur at icehouse.net
Fri Jun 23 03:14:08 UTC 2006

Hello,

I installed firefox and mozilla from ports on my FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE machine at
home.  I installed mozilla which was working, then I did a portupgrade to all my
installed ports (took 3 days on my friends "high" speed line, well higher than
mine which is dial-up).  Then I decided to installed firefox from ports too
(over my modem, took ~3 hours just to download).

Well, anyway, the long story much shorter is, now neither work.  Every time I
launch either I get the following errors:

(20:51:37 <~>) 0 $
-> firefox

(Gecko:702): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type
`GConfClient'

(Gecko:702): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT
(object_type)' failed

(Gecko:702): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT
(object)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

When I launch mozilla the errors are identical with the exception that the
"Gecko:XXX" number are different, but the text is the same.  Thinking that is
was, perhaps, not a good thing to have them together on the same system, I did a
make deinstall to mozilla and firefox, and then rebuilt firefox and reinstalled
it.  I'm still getting the same issue.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm stuck using Konquerer and for some reason, it dies every time it tries to do
something with ssl.  I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to update the
OpenSSL libraries I have installed.  Whether I attempt to enter an encrypted
site, or attempt to configure the crypto stuff in Konquerer, it's the same
story, segfault and a core dump.  Oh well, I'm not as interested in Konquerer.
I really want to get firefox or mozilla working.

Please respond to the list and/or my google mail account, af300wsm at gmail.com.
 That account is subscribed to freebsd-questions as this account can't handle
storying the large volume of traffic (and because I'm using Konquerer I couldn't
log in to google mail).

Thanks,
Andy