Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:05:38 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>

> > On Jun 22, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> >> not only do I like the SAS drives (4 in a 1U rack so that I can use
> >> RAID1+0)
> >
> > What drives are they?  There is nothing in the SAS spec about drive
> > dimensions so it seems you like your particular models of SAS drives
>
> Ack, I thought it was a standard size thing, never even thought about it
> ... I ordered the drives from HP, with the server ...

> http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/index.html?jumpid=ex_hphqglobal_wwentsem/Proliant
>
> I'm guessing what I got were the 2.5" form factor, vs the 3.5" ... and
> based on that same page, looks like I can get 2.5" SATA also ... i thought
> the 'small size' was a SAS feature :(

The 74GB 2.5" SAS drives are $700 each, $9.50 per gigabyte! The array
I just finished building was 2400GB, If I'd used your drives the
drives alone would have cost $23,000... holy shit man.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822116156

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/