Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Tamouh H. hakmi at rogers.com
Thu Jun 22 17:42:21 UTC 2006

ware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

> On 6/21/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
> > b. are ppl actually using/promoting SATA drives in a server
> environment?
> >     Or are we just talking about situations where you have
> a large number
> >     of spindles to work with?  My one experience with an
> SATA configuration
> >     is that the server doesn't *feel* like its performing
> as well as my
> >     SCSI servers do ... under load ...
>
> Yes. All the servers I'm installing this year will have SATA
> drives (and 3ware RAID controllers). The Western Digital
> Raptor drives are every bit as good as the SCSI drives I used to get.
>
> Although it can be difficult to explain to the finance people
> why a 74GB drive is better than a 500GB drive at the same price.

I know there have been a lot of mentioning of 3Ware and SCSI. But I went on 3WARE website and there is not a single SCSI Adapter RAID or else!

In that case, the only real players left for SCSI are Adaptec and LSI (aside from HP controllers). Adaptec is out of question for FreeBSD due to its performance, so really only LSI left!

It seems SATA is the way to go on small to medium sized servers.