Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jun 21 19:41:25 UTC 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 12:18 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> Areca also supports FreeBSD:
> $ man arcmsr (FreeBSD 5.4+)
> http://www.areca.com.tw

I have some though they are not in service yet.  Right now destined
for some Solaris boxes when Areca can fix a bad interaction between
my Tyan opteron board and their Solaris driver...

I bought Areca for three reasons :  They support Solaris 10 AND
FreeBSD so I can re-deploy HW as needed under both OS (that is two
reasons) and they got good reviews (#3).

> My next controller will probably be from Areca because they support
> RAID level 6 and have multi-lane connectors... maybe ARC-1130ML +
> 12x500GB. Does anyone know what SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) RAID
> controllers are supported by FreeBSD?, they can use SATA drives
> correct?

Areca is supposed to have some new SAS cards though I don't know if
they are out yet.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC