smp kernel

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 21 05:23:14 UTC 2006

Michael P. Soulier schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> Is SMP enabled in the GENERIC kernel? I have a hyperthreading box, and on
> Linux it shows up with two cpus. When I do a top on the box in FreeBSD I still
> see only one CPU. Also, sysctl -a | grep cpu only shows a dev.cpu.0.

If you install FreeBSD 6.1 then you can choose between a generic kernel
without SMP support and an SMP enabled kernel. These kernels are named
"GENERIC" and "SMP". If you missed that point you can install it
subsequently:

  # mount /cdrom
  # cd /cdrom/6.1-RELEASE/kernels
  # ./install SMP
  # echo 'kernel="SMP"' >> /boot/loader.conf
  # shutdown -r now

Regards
  Björn