Content filtering

rance at frontiernet.net rance at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 20 02:17:38 UTC 2006

Quoting Shawn Guillemette <shawn at guillemette.org>:

> Hello,
>

>            I have recently been thinking about adding content filtering to
> my FreeBSD fire wall at home as the kids are starting to use the internet
> more and they are getting older too ;-)
>

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.11 RELEASE using IPFW as my firewall. The system its
> running on is an old alpha machine. I was wondering if anyone knew of a port
> that I could use to filter some web content from my children. I do have the
> X86 option as well Just have to reload the OS and start from scratch on
> another system.
>

> Thanks
>
> Shawn

Shawn:

Check out dansguardian and squid

working together these to programs can filter your internal web traffic
redirecting "inappropriate" requests to another site.

Dansguardian works on a blacklist basis that is heavily categorized.

you can block by site url, words/phrases in the url, and even by web
site content (thats where the squid part comes in, squid is a proxy
server and pre-caches the site so the system can read the content of
the url if needed.)

the base blacklist is downloadable once for free (from another web
site)  after the once you are encouraged to register with a fee from
which you derive the right to download incremental updates so you can
keep your blacklists up to date.

Both DG and Squid are in ports.

Have fun.