Please help - adaptec 2820sa not ... RESOLVED

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 19 15:57:20 UTC 2006

On Jun 18, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Ensel Sharon wrote:
> Let's say I have 8 disks.
>
> Let's say I require raid6.

You require RAID-6 because...?  If you want more fault tolerance or
better performance, RAID-10 makes a lot more sense to me than RAID-6,
but YMMV.

> If I make one array, I lose 25% to raid overhead.
>
> If I make two arrays, I lose 50% to raid overhead.

Using RAID-6 with 4 disks does not make much sense, no.

(Using RAID-10 with 4 disks works great, however.  Yes, the overhead
is greater, but the write performance is much better, and it would
seem like RAID-10 would result in you having a configuration that
fits into 2TB LUN limitation....)

--
-Chuck