I need a freebsd 5.3 desktop server; recommendations?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jun 19 15:00:53 UTC 2006

Nikolas Britton wrote:

> On 2006-06-19 06:04, Danial Thom <danial_thom at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > I'd say that a $55. celeron on Freebsd 4.11 would be just as fast as a
>> > Sempron an 5.3, so why not save some money and get something that
>> > everyone knows is "production ready"?
>>
>> I'm not so sure.  It would take quite a few tests and some _real_
>> numbers to convince me that such a claim was true :-)
>>

> Any 64-bit AMD chip will knock the socks off of equivalent Intel
> solutions in code compiling benchmarks. This doesn't always hold true
> though, for example Adobe Photoshop is still faster on Intel because
> the app is tuned for big pipelines / NetBurst.

I think the point was that slower-processor+4.11 is faster than
faster-processor+5.3 which may or may not be true and might depend
greatly on workload.  Without actual benchmarks, it's just speculation.
And it's still only really interesting if it still holds significantly
for 6.X rather than 5.X.  Even then, I am inclined to the opinion that
CPUs get faster so quickly that even a 20% difference will evaporate in
months, and since 5/6.X support newer hardware, I couldn't actually care
less if they are a bit less efficient.

AMD64s are nice though :-)

--Alex

I see it was our perennial 5.X basher Danial Thom
<danial_thom at yahoo.com> you are quoting.  He's a bit of a troll, in case
you hadn't noticed ;-)