smoke and mirrors - any way to trick an app into thinking I'm running linux?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jun 19 13:12:25 UTC 2006

Jim Stapleton wrote:

> The problem is I don't already have one, though there is a reply to my
> other post that I'll be looking at in a few minutes, maybe something
> will be there. I updated the locate db, and tried to locate "glibc",
> but I only found documentation, and a few bin (not lib) compat files
> that look like they are meant to upgrade something, but creat no
> glibc. What I was considering was linking my "libc.so.6" file (no "g")
> to a glibc file in compat.

glibc is the name of the "package" (gnu libc) but the actual library is
called libc.so.?, at least on the Linux machine I just looked at.  Are
you sure the app is looking for glibc?  Trying to link the
compat/linux/lib/libc -> glibc is worth a try (just don't link to the
FreebSD libc), but I don't think it's right.  Generally, all libraries
have to start with "lib" or the linker doesn't know how to find them.

--Alex