I need a freebsd 5.3 desktop server; recommendations?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Jun 19 10:33:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:11:38PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-06-17 11:29, Dan Bikle <dan.bikle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anish,
> >
> > Thanks this is good info.
> >
> > I'll be using this server for development of a Ruby on Rails.
> >
> > Currently I do development on a Mac.
> >
> > My production server is running freeBSD 5.3
>
> You shouldn't be running a production server with 5.3 at all.
>
> The 5.3 release was clearly marked as a "developer preview" release

No, it was not.  5.3 was a perfectly ordinary release. It was in fact
the first 5.x release that was *not* marked as a "developer preview".

> , so
> if you are still running systems with that version, then you should
> *first* upgrade your production systems to a more stable FreeBSD
> version.
>
> Many important bugs have been fixed on the 5.X branch since the 5.3
> version was built, so you should target at the _very_ least the more
> stable, debugged & featureful 5.4 or 5.5 releases, or even RELENG_5.

Upgrading to 5.5 (or even 6.1) is probably a good idea for two reasons.
The first is that, just as you say, several bugs have been fixed since 5.3 .
The other reason is that both 5.3 and 5.4 will only be supported for a
couple months more, while 5.5 will be supported for nearly two more years.
(See http://www.freebsd.org/security/ for exact dates.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson