Python port problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jun 19 08:34:22 UTC 2006

Joe Auty wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>
>> Joe Auty wrote:

>>> My Mailman rc script (exactly identical to the one on my working
>>> machine):
>>>
>> You're getting your error when mailman starts at boot time; is that
>> right?
>>
>> If so, what happens if you try as root (csh):
>>
>> # sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman.sh start
>>
>> (you might have to check the exact name of the rc.d script).
>>
>> If this starts mailman then something bizarre is going on.
>>
>> If you get the same error as usual, then judicious snippets with  the
>> error and prior context.
>>

> Running the RC script under sh, csh, and bash yields the same error
> spew....
>
> I've attached the errors spewed out in their entirety:

Sorry, the csh/sh distinction should have been edited out by me - I was
redirecting the output in my first edit then took it out.  However, the
point was to run with sh -x as that will trace execution and might find
where <prefix> has been written.

Can you try:

$ ls /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman*

$ ls /etc/rc.d/mailman*

(in case some old script has hung around)

$ find /usr/local/mailman -type f -exec egrep -H  '<prefix>' {} \;

(to try to find <prefix> somewhere in mailman install)

and if that finds nothing

$ sh -x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mailman.sh start

[from mailman list]

> One wild guess - look at bin/paths.py. It should contain real paths as
> definitions for 'prefix' and 'exec_prefix'. If it's wrong, then so
> probably are cron/paths.py and scripts/paths.py (and who knows what
> else).

We tried looking in that first  file a couple iterations ago :-(  Above
I've tried looking in others but I don't think that will be it.   don't
think it's the mailman install per se as you ran qrunner from the
command line and it worked.  Try again to be sure:

/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner

and you' should get the help message and not an import error.

--Alex