formatting tools for Docbook

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Fri Jun 16 17:52:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006, Chuck Robey wrote:
>Bob Johnson wrote:

>>>docs, because then no one else would be able to use my documents.  Am I
>>>wrong in considering the FDP generated documentation as being in that
>>>category, not terribly uselful outside the FreeBSD project.
>>

>>I believe you are wrong, or I misunderstand the question.
>>
>>I haven't used XML DocBook, but I've used DocBook with DSSSL.  I
>>assume what you are really asking is not whether the FreeBSD
>>extensions to the DocBook markup language are a problem (they aren't),
>>but whether the stylesheets used by FreeBSD are compatible with those
>>on other systems.  They are (or they claim to be, as I said I haven't
>>actually used the XML/XSL tools yet).
>>
>Look, how come you won't follow politely formed requests?  I've asked
>now repeatedly, if you haven't yourself used the XML Docbook tools (not
>just Docbook, not just your own private mission statement here) then
>please to let this go, not to respond.  I wrote that same request to my
>very first email.  How come you can't react politely to a polite request?

I use docbook xml for many things here on a FreeBSD 4.8 system
(yeah I know it's out of date, but its uptime is 723 days :-).

I'm using the OpenPKG portable packaging system's versions of
docbook, openjade, tetex along with docbook-toys from SuSE Linux.

docbook-toys is a set of scripts, db2dvi, db2html, db2pdf, etc.
which provide simple interfaces to openjade and jadetex.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
                -- Robert Heinlein