clarification of cvsup process.

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Jun 15 19:42:14 UTC 2006

> I have a FreeBSD 6.0 server that I manage that is used as a DNS / mail
> server.  In the wake of the recent sendmail security announcement, I'd
> like to make sure I'm keeping the thing up to date.  I tried to run the
> patch as listed in the announcement, but the patch just seemed to hang,
> so I killed the process and decided to go the cvsup route.  now I
> understand the whole cvsup process, as well as updating ports, but the
> whole release tag thing still has me confused.  If possible could
> someone tell me if I'm doing this right or not, or have someone tell me
> what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I'm only interested in updating the system when a security need arises,
> and have no desire to live on the "cutting edge".  I handle the ports
> through portaudit/portsnap/portmanager, and am looking to only update
> the case system with cvsup.
>
> Here is the list of commands I run to update the system.
>
> # cvsup /usr/local/greg/cvsupfile
>
> Contents of cvsupfile:
>
> *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_0
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>

> src-all
> *default tag=.

Note that you set the tag=RELENG_6_0 ... which is what you want, then you
reset it tag=. -- which will give you 6-STABLE -- not what you want.

Remove the *default tag=. line.

> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>
> After rebooting into single user mode:
>
> # fsck -p
> # mount -u /
> # mount -a -t ufs
> # swapon -a
> # adjkerntz -i
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot
>
> After rebooting:
>
> # cd /etc/mail
> # make all
> # make install
> # make restart
>
> And that's it.  I do the stuff in /etc/mail since I'm not sure running
> make buildworld will update the cf files.  The last patch that came out,
> I did the same thing I outlined above, but I did not notice a change in
> the version number of Sendmail when telnetting to it.

I don't know if the patch updates sendmail's internal version or not.

What does uname -a tell you after the upgrade?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.