[Fwd: formatting tools for Docbook]

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Thu Jun 15 19:14:25 UTC 2006

Greg Barniskis wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> This is a delayed reposting of something that I might have sent to an
>> initially poorly chosen list;  if it still gets no reponse in another
>> day, I  might try again, if I can figure out a better FreeBSD list to
>> choose.  My predilection for FreeBSD is strong, I would really
>> dislike to be forced to jump to Linux (or, god forbid, to Windows)
>> for this infomation, about using the various FreeBSD ports tools to
>> get to the ability to format docbook materials.

Well, I wasn't trying to write FreeBSD documentation, I was trying to
generate my own personal documentation, using a schema that would
hopefully be far more generally available.  Back when I was using groff
and the mm macros (yesterday!) I never would have used some locally
tweaked version of the mm macros, unless I included those changes in my
docs, because then no one else would be able to use my documents.  Am I
wrong in considering the FDP generated documentation as being in that
category, not terribly uselful outside the FreeBSD project.

That's the reason I asked about docbook in general.  Obviously, doing
FDP stuff is made truly simple.  There isn 't some way to adapt the FDP
installation to support he generation of more general docbook xml (such
as the latest 4.x series stuff, I think 4.5x). ?