Upgrading Ports on 5.3

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 15 10:30:21 UTC 2006

RW wrote:

>On Wednesday 14 June 2006 11:12, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>[portversion -L =] would be quicker.  Any > needs upgrading.  Any < would mean you somehow
>>had an installed version newer that the port version!
>>

>Presumably that could happen if the port were reverted.

For completeness, looks like I got it backwards:

     <       The installed version of the package is older than the current
             version.

     >       The installed version of the package is newer than the current
             version.  This situation can arise with using an out-of-date
             INDEX file, or when testing new ports.

And yes, a reverted port would do it too, I expect.

And my system shows tons of >  (which is what confused me) whereas
pkg_version shows lots of =.  Looks like you have to be religious about
keeping INDEX up to date.

pkg_version -L =

is functionally equivalent, slower, but doesn't require up-to-date INDEX
(which just takes too long to build and I usually forget or can't be
bothered).

portversion -> tidy completists
pkg_version -> lazy sods like me

--Alex