Trying to revive a server... AIC-7896 freezes pre-POST completion

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Jun 14 15:41:38 UTC 2006

IF you can find the documentation for the motherboard, see if there is a
reset jumper.  That jumper should reset the BIOS to factory defaults to
allow it to get through the post and into setup.  Some motherboards
actually take you into setup with the jumper moved to reset bad configurations.

Also, unplug any cards and drives, leave the system board with just ram and
cpu and video (unless it is built in) until you get it configured.

         -Derek

At 12:11 AM 6/14/2006, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>Hello again all,
>         I know this isn't a FreeBSD question really, but I just started
> up a motherboard with onboard SCSI (Adaptec AIC-7896), and for some odd
> reason it freezes pre-POST before it attempts to boot and there isn't any
> way where I can get into the BIOS to change the settings it seems. Does
> anyone know how I can maybe disable the onboard SCSI controller since it
> appears to hang while detecting disks?
>         Thanks a million!
>-Garrett
>
>--