top

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Jun 14 13:31:39 UTC 2006

On 06/14/06 05:34, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 03:40:02 -0500, "Nikolas Britton"
>> <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What do all these things mean, they are from the STATE column in top?:
>>>

>> The lowercase names are the names of sleep-events on
>> which a process is blocked.
>
> A few of these I think I have figured out over the years but pinch of
> salt please, not a lernel hacker:
>
>>> bo_wwa
>>> biowr
>>>
> writing to disk.  Other devices too, probably.
>
>>> *proce
>>> getblk
>>>
> reading from disk.  Other devices too probably.
>
>>> RUN
>>> select
>>>
> waiting for data to arrive on a socket.  See man select.
>
>>> drainv
>>>
>>> *Giant
>>> nanslp
>>>
> sleeping.  see man 3 sleep
>
>>> pause
>>>
> Waiting for signal, I believe.  See man 3 pause.
>
>>> wait
>>>
> Waiting for children.  See man 2 wait.
>
>>> kserel
>>> ttyin
>>>
> reading from a tty.
>
> You missed "piperd" == reading from a pipe.
>
> "lockf" = locked file. See man lockf.
>
> Those have got me through most common situations where I want to know
> what's going on.  kserel is the only common one I have no clue about.

Not a kernel hacker... but I always thought it corresponded to the
kse_release syscall.

 From the man page (sorry about formatting):
The kse_release() system call is used to ``park'' the KSE assigned to the
currently running thread when it is not needed, e.g., when there are more
available KSEs than runnable user threads.  The thread converts to an
upcall but does not get scheduled until there is a new reason to do so,
e.g., a previously blocked thread becomes runnable, or the timeout
expires.  If successful, kse_release() does not return to the caller.

> --Alex

Regards,
Eric