wikipedia article

Per Fogelström pefo at opsycon.se
Wed Jun 14 09:17:38 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 00:50, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Per Fogelstrvm wrote:

> >>And also the Sun 1.
> >
> > IIRC it was simpler than that. When the first cpu caused a 'miss' it was
> > put in wait and cpu 2 handled the pagein and then released cpu 1. Keeping
> > the two cpus synched, one instruction apart would have been too
> > complicated if not impossible...
>
> Your idea will not work, as far as I can tell.

Well it does. You are making assumptions which causes it to now work.
As Marcus already explained, the CPU is not allowed to trap but kept
waiting for the data. This of course had a terrible performance impact
(if you were running many background jobs) but considering that the Apollo
Domain stations were mostly used for CAD with huge data requirements it was
not a bad thing though. At that time RAM was very expensive and top notch
performance was not a very big issue at all times. And the MMU chip was a
piece of crap and expensive so most companies built their own MMU, like we
did. Actually we never used any of Motorolas MMU chips in any of our systems.