FreeBSD firewall, nat, kernel

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 14:46:45 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, fbsd <fbsd at a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> All 3 FreeBSD 6.1 firewall software products IPF, IPFW, PF and their
> NAT components all work without having to be compiled into the
> kernel.

To get NAT functionality from IPFW you need to add 'option divert' to your
kernel configuration file and recompile. fbsd was half right, it's all in
the handbook ;)...

"There are some additional configuration statements that need to be enabled
to activate the NAT function of IPFW. The kernel source needs 'option
divert' statement added to the other IPFIREWALL statements compiled into a
custom kernel."

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-ipfw.html

Read the handbook closer for details on how to activate which ever
> one you want to use.

-David

--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.