Printers on /dev/ulpt*

Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek frans-jan at van-steenbeek.net
Tue Jun 13 12:37:30 UTC 2006

Hi there!

Recently I have installed a printserver at my work to make use of all those
USB-printers in our network. Everything is running fine, thank you :)

The printers are turned off every night, and they get there /dev-entry when
turned on again, as expected. Cups is serving them on the network, so Cups
looks for the appropriate /dev/ulpt*.

I have had to teach my colleagues to turn the printers on in the right order.
When they are switched on in a different order, the wrong printer
gets /dev/ulpt0, another wrong printer gets /dev/ulpt1 etc. Is there a way to
get around this? Can I assign a /dev/ulpt*-entry to a certain device, even
when it is off? Or is there another workaround (in Cups perhaps)?

A CC would be appreciated, I'm not subscribed.

Thanks, regards,

Fi-Ji.

--
Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek