Samba: very strange truncation error

Postalbunny postalbunny at houston.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 23:56:25 UTC 2006

i've come across this same problem with any windows machine connecting to my samba machine.  The windows machiens are looking for services... and will cause that log output on every initial connection.  You can either delete this key in window registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

or a odd'er fix is to add this to my smb.conf

[.]
        comment = windows work around
        public = no
        browseable = no
        path = /tmp

now it finds a "." service that it can't browse so it doesn't list it.  Helps samba to not barf on every connection.

Not sure who to get this out to, or who to notify about this bug, but i've found a lot of people with the same problems (google) but no fixes.  And have experienced this problem going from samba (no problems) to samba3.

in regards to question:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/attachments/20030827/ef6539ad/attachment.bin--Ian Steinmetz