hardware raid suggestions

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:26:01 UTC 2006

On 6/12/06, Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > On 6/12/06, Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've got a dell power edge 600sc. (I realize thats getting old)
> >> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-release.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for suggestions for a good raid setup
> >> both controls and disks.  I'd like to use hardware raid and not software.
> >>
> >> I'm more interested in the performance from raid then the redundancy.
> >>
> >> Its mainly if not exclusively going to be used for compilations of
> >> software ASF software. Ideally, I'd like to NFS mount its disk on my
> >> desktop over a local gigabit lan.
> >>
> >> Any pointers appreciated.
> >>
> >> I'm willing spend up to about $1,000.
> >>

> > How much space do you want?
> 500GB->1TB is probably way more then I need, but I won't complain.
>
> I think 250GB should be good.

That server has 64-bit/33MHz PCI-X slots. At most you have about
105MB/s to work with, assuming your gigiabit NIC also sits on this
bus. I feel that SCSI / SAS would be overkill for your needs because
you can't take advantage of it's speed, this leaves you with SATA.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/