Long Shot - MSN Group chat room access

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 02:49:12 UTC 2006

On 6/10/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/10/06, dgmm <freebsd01 at dgmm.net> wrote:
> > I know this is a long shot but my GF want's know if it's possible to get into
> > an MSN groups chat room using FreeBSD and Firefox (or any other browser.
> >
> > Currently, she's getting a canned "apology" page saying:
> > MSN Chat is not currently compatible with your Internet browser and/or
> > computer operating system.
> >
> > Here's what you need to enjoy MSN Chat:
> >

> >                 Windows 95 or later
> > At this time, MSN Chat does not work on Macintosh, Windows 3.1, Windows NT
> > 3.1, and Unix Operating systems.
> >
> >                 Internet Explorer 4.0 or later
> > You can download the latest version for free at:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie.
> >
> > - or -
> >
> >                 Netscape Navigator 4.x
> > To find out more, go to: http://home.netscape.com.
> >
> > Thanks for advice, pointers or other help you might be able to offer.
> >

> Firefox on my Win2k laptop can get to the real front page of msn chat
> and the fact that they say that Netscape Navigator will work with
> there site makes me think you just need to spoof your user agent
> string. Try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/ and change
> your agent string to something like this:
>
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
>
> I'd test it out for you but I don't have Firefox installed on my BSD
> systems, I use Opera and my Mac OS X system is without a network
> connection at the moment.

I forgot about Konqueror :-) I just tried spoofing msn chat with
Konqueror and it worked, well I got to the front page at least but I
don't have an msn account so I can't test it any further. In Konqueror
simply goto Settings > Configure Konqueror... > Browser
Identification, and then click on "New...". set it to
http://chat.msn.com and use "Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows XP".

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/